Below are links or address where you may find other information
Dorstone History Society
Original presentation given on 6th November 2019
Herefordshire Archive and Records Centre (HARC)
- www.herefordshire.gov.uk/archives go to Archive services and collections.
- Scroll down to; Locate an item in the collections.
- Then search; Herefordshire Archive Service Index. And or any of the other links
- Suggest initially search for Dorstone. But be aware there is another Dorstone near Leominster.
- Remember that not all relevant documents held at HARC may be listed. The list you see is just the tip of the iceberg!
- HARC also have 155 summary’s of Wills relating to Dorstone. Dating between 1701 and 1856. A full list will be available on Wills page
Prison Records, Wills, War Memorials, and Other records: www.herefordshire.gov.uk/info/200164/archives/83/visit_herefordshire_archive_and_records_centre Can be searched.
- If you would like to visit HARC;
- HARC, Fir Tree Lane, Rotherwas, HR2 6AA. 01432 260750.
- Open; Tuesday to Thursday 10am to 3.30pm
- We will not be opening on Saturdays until further notice
- If you visit please make the staff aware that you are involved in this project• As they will be able to assist you.
- You will also need a Readers Ticket, available FREE from HARC.
- Please ensure on your first visit that you have some form of ID, driving licence, Council Tax Bill or Utility Bill.
- Will show in addition to records held at The National Archives
- Sale particulars (Summary) 1940: Historic England Archive, Swindon, via Discovery. Most other archives can be linked via Discovery.
- Also worth looking at: www.historicengland.org.uk/images-books/photos/englands-places/gallery/5566
- Type in Dorstone Choose any one of the links and Open the Box!!
National Library of Wales www.library.wales Follow links
Old Ordnance Survey maps (1886, surveyed and 1903, revised) www.maps.nls.uk/os/25inch-england-and-wales Follow links
- Find how much a sum of money would be worth between 1270 – 2017.
- And what you could buy. Ideal for comparing rents https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency-converter/
- Online tutorial to help you read old handwriting www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/palaeography